2017’s Beer of the Year
The Doctor — Sawmill
Toasty aromas, rich malts, light caramel and chocolate flavours. Dark brown in colour with ruby highlights. Reserved hop presence, just enough bitterness to carry the malt. Residual sweetness, lingering mouthfeel.
- 6.5% ABV
- FG 1.016
- Mid 20s IBU
- Like a Bock/Schwarzbier
- No astringency or alcohol taste
- ⅓ Gladfield Pilsner Malt
- ⅓ Gladfield Munich Malt
- ⅓ Gladfield Vienna Malt
- Weyermann Caramunich Type 1
- Weyermann Carafa Special Type 2 (Dehusked)
- A touch of Gladfield Light Chocolate
- Mash for a dry beer
- Pacific Jade for bittering
- Pacific Jade and Pacifica in whirlpool
- More Chloride than sulphide. Ratio: 1:0.75
- 50ppm Ca
- White Labs German Lager WLP830
- Ferment at 12C
- Free rise to 16/17C
- Diacetyl rest at 20C
- Lager 1 to 2 weeks
2016’s Beer of the Year
Oh Lordy Pale Ale — Funk Estate
The 2016 September clone beer of the year is Funk Estate’s Oh Lordy Pale Ale. You can read about it here:
Oh Lordy is our contribution to the oh-so-popular pale ale style. We think the balance is pretty bangin’.
The munich malt provides a wee bit of biscuity pleasure, combined with a generous amount of kiwi hops, carefully selected to summon some sexual citrus, passion fruit and grape notes.
We challenge you to drink it and not scream out… Oh Lordy!
Tasting Notes: Gooseberries, grape and tropical fruit aroma with a medium malt body.
2015’s Beer of the Year
Ardennes – Tuatara
Ardennes is Tuatara’s strong, Belgian-style blonde ale. Ardennes is named after the yeast that gives it all those spicy orange notes and there is no mistaking the strong bit! Here’s some information on this beer:
- Taste: Citrus characters, spicy orange notes
- Look: Golden yellow
- Aroma: Orange, spicy & Belgium esters and phenolics
- Try With: Cheese platter
- Hops: Pacific Jade, Citra, Amarillo
- Malt: NZ Pilsner
- Alcohol (ABV): 6.5%
- Bitterness (IBU): 24
Carl Vasta from Tuatara will be judging.